Simple with all components packaged in a single file, including the definitions, configurations, metadata, and security keys.
Fast with native support for GPU accelerators, including NVIDIA/Cuda, AMD GFX8/9, etc.
Secure with key-signing in every container, enabling an entire application environment to be packaged with cryptographic immutability and trust.
Sylabs provides Singularity in several different forms:
Built on the Singularity Community code base, SingularityPRO includes enterprise-grade features to deliver a strong, highly secure container platform:
- Commitment to long-term support for releases of Singularity
- Security patches and bug-fixes will be back ported into new releases of SingularityPRO
- Early releases of security patches, delivered to SingularityPRO customers before a full disclosure is made to the open source community (read more about our security policy here)
- Stability, by providing long-term support, along with bug and security fixes
- Customized service/support options, so users can choose the tiered service/support option that best meets their needs
Prices are only available upon request.
The Singularity Community Edition
Singularity Community is 100% open source, BSD licensed software available for free now!
Sylabs has a strong relation to the open source community, and as a result of that, all features, development and advances will always be contributed first and foremost to the public open source development repositories. Singularity follows the “release early, release often” principle, with each new release containing the best of the new code contributed to Singularity via Github.
This means, you can always use the latest version of Singularity, with all features, as the open source development supports. We have a thriving open source community that you can follow and be part of by joining the community.
Singularity provides a single universal on-ramp from the laptop, to HPC, to cloud.
Users of Singularity can build applications on their desktops and run hundreds or thousands of instances—without change—on any public cloud.
- Support for data-intensive workloads—The elegance of Singularity’s architecture bridges the gap between HPC and AI, deep learning/machine learning, and predictive analytics.
- A secure, single-file-based container format—Cryptographic signatures ensure trusted, reproducible, and validated software environments during runtime and at rest.
- Extreme mobility—Use standard file and object copy tools to transport, share, or distribute a Singularity container. Any endpoint with Singularity installed can run the container.
- Compatibility—Designed to support complex architectures and workflows, Singularity is easily adaptable to almost any environment.
- Simplicity—If you can use Linux®, you can use Singularity.
- Security—Singularity blocks privilege escalation inside containers by using an immutable single-file container format that can be cryptographically signed and verified.
- User groups—Join the knowledgeable communities via GitHub, Google Groups, or in the Slack community channel.
- Enterprise-grade features—Leverage SingularityPRO’s Container Library, Remote Builder, and expanded ecosystem of resources.
Making what was previously impossible, possible
Released in 2016, Singularity is an open source-based container platform designed for scientific and high-performance computing (HPC) environments. Used by more than 25,000 top academic, government, and enterprise users, Singularity is installed on more than 3 million cores and trusted to run over a million jobs each day.
In addition to enabling greater control over the IT environment, Singularity also supports Bring Your Own Environment (BYOE)—where entire Singularity environments can be transported between computational resources (e.g., users’ PCs) with reproducibility.
With Singularity, the entire execution environment is contained within a single file that starts with a base Linux® file system, augmented by applications, libraries, data, and scripts necessary for a containerized application’s workflow. Each container becomes a process that can be deployed to where your computing resources reside.
Singularity’s unique design meets HPC users’ needs for a container solution that not only offers high performance, but also supports mobility, reproducibility, and seamless integration within the existing environments.
In addition to using a single-file container format that can be signed and verified, Singularity does not allow privilege escalation—effectively preserving isolation, privacy, and security. And with Singularity Image Format (SIF) —the universal binary executable format for the multi-premises and multi-cloud universe—you can package up entire application environments with cryptographic immutability and trust.
Guaranteed Trust and Reproducibility
Singularity can take any OCI compatible format, and encapsulate it into a “Singularity Image Format” (SIF) package. This package now becomes the runtime format for the container. No more tarballs. No more root owned layers or daemons, this is the runtime executable format! Additionally, this format is very extensible, and natively supports features like cryptographic signing and verification to guarantee immutability.
Contributing to Singularity
As an open-source project, Singularity accepts input from developers located anywhere in the world. To contribute, simply search for the Singularity project on GitHub and submit a pull request.